WHERE WE STAND ON BIOMEDICAL INTERVENTIONS
Housing Works supports the use of the full range of HIV prevention tools available, including treatment as prevention (TASP), condoms, PrEP (pre-exposure prophylaxis), and PEP (post-exposure prophylaxis). To achieve an AIDS-FREE New York by 2020, we will need to be making use of every viable tool in the HIVprevention and treatment arsenals, and that means increasing education and awareness of each tool as well as access to them.
Biomedical Interventions: Our Strategies
- Recommend antiretrovirals (ARVs) for all HIV-positive adults and adolescents consistent with federal guidelines.
- Make PrEP available for those who need it.
- Make occupational PEP available onsite and non-occupational PEP available in pharmacies and community health clinics within two hours of exposure.
- Require combination HIV prevention care and services from all New York City and State providers—public and private—as essential service under the ACAprevention mandate.
- Fully implement comprehensive, age-appropriate sex education in New York City and State schools.